While we all love dogs, we don’t always love the way they smell! Even though a dog’s seemingly endless curiosity can be one of its most endearing traits, it can also lead your furry friend into some really stinky situations.
Who can honestly say that they haven’t caught their dog rummaging around in the trashcan or rolling around in a mud puddle at some point? Not only can your dog’s skin and fur trap unpleasant smells from their environment, long-haired breeds trap yeast and other types of bacteria underneath their fur, which can also result in that gross wet dog smell.
If you want your pup to look and smell its best, you must regularly give them baths with the best smelling dog shampoo. Even short-haired dogs with less demanding grooming requirements still need to be bathed with an appropriate shampoo regularly. Unfortunately, choosing the right type of dog-friendly shampoo can be somewhat difficult.
- How Can We Help?
- The Top 7 Best Smelling Dog Shampoos
- 1. Burt’s Bees – Natural Oatmeal & Honey Dog Shampoo
- 2. Arm & Hammer – Kiwi Blossom Scented Super Deodorizing Shampoo for Dogs
- 3. Buddy’s Best – Hypoallergenic Coconut and Vanilla Bean Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
- 4. 4-Legger – Organic Hypoallergenic Aloe Vera and Lemongrass Dog Shampoo
- 5. Oliver’s Choice – Oatmeal and Aloe Moisturizing Shampoo for Smelly Dogs and Puppies
- 6. Wahl – 4-in-1 Calming Lavender and Chamomile Scented Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- 7. Gerrard Larriett – Aromatherapy Odor Eliminator Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
- Final Words
How Can We Help?
The market is flooded with sweet smelling dog shampoo and scented sprays, making it difficult to know which product will help you clean your pooch. To help you make the right choice, we have highlighted and reviewed some of the most effective and best smelling pet shampoo you can buy.
We chose each of the best dog shampoo products listed below because the formula smells great and lasts. Not only that, they penetrate and clean the fur without irritating or excessively drying the skin.
Stop living with a stinky pooch and find the best dog shampoo that smells great and works!
The Top 7 Best Smelling Dog Shampoos
The following best smelling dog shampoo formulas smell great and can effectively clean your dog’s coat rather than just masking unpleasant smells. Not only that, they will not irritate your dog’s skin and cause itchiness, which is often the case with low-quality pet shampoo.
While you might be more familiar with Burt’s Bees as the brand behind the incredibly popular beeswax lip balms, face washes, and moisturizing products for humans, they have recently branched out into the pet care industry.
As it turns out, Burt Shavitz, the founder of the Burt’s Bees brand, was a dog lover who firmly believed all people should treat their pets like valued members of the family. He believed that our dogs deserve to be cared for with natural and safe products free from harsh chemical ingredients.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Dog Shampoo cleans the dog’s fur while simultaneously soothing and nourishing the skin and coat. The formula contains natural and soothing ingredients, like colloidal oatmeal, green tea extract, honey, beeswax, and more.
Even though this best dog shampoo is free from artificial fragrances, it smells amazing! Unlike other chemical-laden pet shampoo, which often make your dog smell more like a cleaning product than a dog, this Burt’s Bees Oatmeal shampoo variety has a fresh yet natural scent, which is reminiscent of honey.
Not only does it smell great, but it also does an impressive job of cleaning the fur and nourishing sensitive skin. It will also help improve the look and feel of your pet’s coat by increasing shine and softening the coat. On top of that, it is suitable for all breeds and ages, so if you own more than one dog, it is a great choice!
- Formulated without colorants, sulfates, or other unnecessary chemicals
- Does not contain added fragrances, so it has a truly natural scent
- Nourishes the skin while you clean the fur
- Mild and gentle formula does not sting the dog’s eyes
- pH balanced to be suitable for all breeds and ages
- Cruelty-free manufacturing process
You are probably familiar with the Arm & Hammer brand, as it has an outstanding reputation for offering baking soda-based odor control products at affordable prices. Luckily for dog owners, it now offers an odor-absorbing dog shampoo that will gently clean your furry friend and leave it smelling better than ever before!
This particular formula combines the advanced odor-controlling properties of baking soda with the refreshing scent of kiwi blossoms. Not only will it absorb and wash away the stinky odors that can get trapped inside your dog’s coat, but the fresh scent lasts and lasts.
Arm & Hammer dog shampoos are always made with natural ingredients, meaning they are free from harsh chemicals. This particular odor remover formula is balanced so that it is safe to use with dogs that have sensitive skin. You can also use it with dogs of all life stages, so it’s an effective puppy shampoo and a good odor control shampoo for senior dogs.
It is also safe to use with flea and tick products, which means you do not have to worry about it reducing the effectiveness of any topical parasite preventative or oral medication that your dog is currently on.
The product is also a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, so not only does it remove dirt, dander, and odors, it softens and moisturizes the fur. Overall, it is an outstanding dog shampoo if your dog regularly carries unpleasant smells. Not only will the baking soda absorb the remove unpleasant scents, but the kiwi blossom scent also lasts keeps your pooch smelling fresh!
- Contains natural ingredients that do not irritate the skin
- Deodorizing baking soda helps eliminate unpleasant scents, rather than just cover them up
- pH balanced for all breeds and life stages
- Safe to use with flea and tick products
- Contains no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), paraben, or phthalates
This hypoallergenic, 2-in-1 dog shampoo and conditioner from Buddy’s Best keeps your furry friend smelling fresh and feeling comfortable. It is free from harsh chemicals known to cause itchiness, especially in dogs that have sensitive skin. The pet-safe and natural ingredients prevent the skin inflammation and itchiness that can have dogs dreading bath time.
Not only does Buddy’s Best not irritate the skin and eyes, but the oatmeal and aloe ingredients also work together to soothe your pup’s skin. As a bonus, they leave you dog’s coat clean and silky smooth. Best of all, the shampoo can remove foul odors. The pleasant, natural fresh coconut and vanilla scent also leaves your canine companion smelling great without coating the fur in unnatural perfumes, which is often the case with more damaging dog shampoos.
Since this pet shampoo also contains an effective conditioner, it saves time, meaning your dog can spend less time in the bath and more time playing. Given how pet shampoo can trigger skin allergies, this hypoallergenic shampoo from Buddy’s Best is the perfect choice for anyone that has a sensitive dog.
- Contains natural ingredients, such as shea butter, coconut oil, organic aloe vera, vanilla bean extract, and colloidal oatmeal
- Hypoallergenic, meaning it does not contain alcohol or harsh soaps
- Made with vegan-friendly ingredients
- Removes foul odors and coats the fur and skin with the fresh and tropical scent of coconut and vanilla
- Leaves the coat shiny, silky, and smooth to the touch
4-Legger is known for making organic, non-toxic pet shampoos and conditioners recommended by veterinarians and professional groomers. This particular formula contains nothing but USDA-certified organic oils and natural ingredients. Not only is it safe to use on your beloved pet, but it also moisturizes the skin to prevent the itchiness that can occur when you use lower-quality shampoos.
What is truly unique about this organic dog shampoo from 4-Legger is that it helps treat some of the causes of unpleasant dog odors. The natural oils help minimize yeast and other forms of bacteria that can become trapped beneath the fur. Not only does this cut down on that all-too-familiar wet dog scent, but it also helps relieve skin inflammation, so your dog will feel much better.
The natural oils will even help remove some environmental scents and toxins that can get trapped beneath the fur. As a bonus, the unique blend of natural oils used in this particular formula can naturally deter fleas and ticks, which can be helpful if your dog spends a significant amount of time exploring parks and forests.
Not only do the organic and natural ingredients remove bacteria and help soothe the skin, but they also leave your dog smelling great. The natural lemongrass and coconut ingredients will leave your smelly dogs with a pleasant and natural scent that will last between baths.
Overall, this is a fantastic product if you are looking for a natural dog shampoo that contains 100% organic ingredients.
- Contains natural and organic ingredients, such as coconut oil, aloe vera juice, lemongrass oil, rosemary extract, and olive oil
- Does not contain chemical detergents or preservatives
- Made in the USA by a family-owned company
- 100% organic ingredients that are completely biodegradable
- Leaves your dog with the fresh and natural scent of aloe vera, lemongrass, and coconut
Oliver’s Choice is a newer brand, but in a short time, it has gained a dedicated following. This particular blend of dog shampoo contains natural ingredients, like oatmeal, aloe vera, and shea butter. It deodorizes your dog’s fur while simultaneously relieving itchiness and smelling great.
The all-natural fragrances will leave your dog with a sweet and fresh scent that will have you wondering why you did not use it earlier. Not only does it help soothe irritated skin, but it is also completely hypoallergenic, so it will not trigger any allergic reaction.
As with every Oliver’s Choice product, this dog shampoo is paraben-free and completely biodegradable, so you know that you are doing the right thing for your pooch and the environment. Since it acts as an effective deodorizer, you will not have to worry about trapped smells, like the unpleasant yeasty scent that many long-haired breeds suffer from.
We like how well it removes and replaces unpleasant odors, but the fact that it also moisturizes the coat and soothes the skin takes Oliver’s Choice to the next level. If you want your dog to restore your dog’s coat without causing itchiness and other types of skin irritation, this all-natural shampoo is an excellent choice!
- Made for all breeds and life stages
- Infused with a sweet, fresh scent that will leave your dog smelling better than ever
- Oatmeal helps soothe itchy skin, as well as treat hot spots
- Aloe vera acts as an anti-bacterial and antifungal agent that will soothe the skin, while lanolin softens the fur and restores its natural shine
- Made in the USA using a cruelty-free manufacturing process
This unique, calming dog shampoo from Wahl cleans, conditions detangles, and moisturizes your dog’s fur. The lavender and chamomile scent leaves your dog smelling great and helps keep them calm during bathing sessions.
Not only is this 4-in-1 formula incredibly convenient, but it also offers outstanding value because it is more concentrated than typical dog shampoo. It lathers up much more effectively as a result of a unique sodding agent. In other words, you need less of it to clean your dog’s coat. On top of that, it is available at a budget-friendly price that blows the competition away.
The shampoo is also really easy to use, as it creates a luxurious lather that makes it easier to force the shampoo deep into your pup’s coat. It also rinses off quickly and easily.
If your dog has sensitive skin, you will be happy to learn that Wahl pet shampoo is chemical-free, so it will not trigger an allergic reaction or result in dry, itchy skin. It doesn’t contain any alcohol or paraben, which can dry out your pet’s skin, paw pads, and nose.
Since it is a popular choice amongst professional groomers shows that this effective shampoo is effective and safe to use with all types of dogs.
- Affordable price
- 4-in-1 formula can be used to clean, condition, detangle, and moisturize your dog’s coat
- Lavender and chamomile extracts help calm your dog and will leave him or her with a pleasant smell that lasts
- Concentrated formula and 24 oz bottle allow for an average of 70% more baths per bottle than other leading dog shampoo brands
- pH balanced, so it is suitable for all breeds and life stages
This fresh-scented deodorizing dog shampoo and conditioner from Gerrard Larriett detangles and cleans your dog’s fur while simultaneously removing unpleasant odors. Not only will it absorb and remove any unpleasant smells trapped within the coat, but it will also leave your dog with a pleasant lavender and chamomile scent that will have you wanting to get up close with your pooch.
It also contains anti-itch ingredients and will not aggravate your dog’s allergies or irritate its skin. It contains oatmeal proteins, which help protect the dog’s skin by creating a soothing barrier. The oat extract and other natural ingredients help reduce inflammation, redness, bumps, hot spots, and other common skin conditions that long-haired breeds usually suffer from.
It contains no parabens, bleaches, artificial fragrances, dyes, harsh detergents, artificial sudsing agents, or anything else that will irritate your dog’s skin and cause itchiness. Not only will it leave your dog smelling better than ever, the de-stressing, but aromatherapy formula will also help calm your dog and help it relax. The formula is great for pet owners that find their pooch panics and experiences stress during baths.
- Contains calming, natural ingredients, such as lavender essential oil, chamomile oil, aloe vera, and oat proteins
- Added vitamin E oil helps to soothe the skin and prevent excessive drying and cracking, which can make your dog itchy as he or she grows older
- Made in the USA
- Calming formula helps de-stress dogs and helps them enjoy bath time, even if they are otherwise anxious dogs
- Removes unpleasant odors and leaves your dog’s healthy coat smelling fresh and clean
If your dog regularly has an unpleasant smell, it could simply be down to the fact that you have not tried an effective dog shampoo. If you need to bathe your dog on a near-daily basis, it might be time to try a dog shampoo that can remove unpleasant odors rather than just covering them up.
Any of the shampoos we highlighted above would make an excellent choice. Not only do they smell great, but they were also all chosen because they will help to soothe your dog’s skin. Not only will they rid your dog of that stinky, yeasty scent, but they will also have your dog feeling it’s absolute best.
Remember, using cheap pet shampoos that contain harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances might cover up the smell temporarily, but they can harm your dog’s skin and rarely have a lasting impact. Instead, opt for a best-smelling dog shampoo formula that will protect your pooch and offer lasting results!